Government Museum, Egmore established in 1851, is the second oldest museum in India. Many of the buildings within the Museum campus are over 100 years old. Among them, the colossal Museum Theatre is one of the most impressive.
The objects displayed in the museum cover a variety of artifacts and objects covering diverse fields including archeology, numismatics, zoology, natural history, sculptures, palm-leaf manuscripts and Amravati paintings.
Since August 2004, the museum is also a designated “Manuscript Conservation Centre” (MCC) under the National Mission for Manuscripts established in 2003. The museum has taken preventive care of about 19,007 manuscripts and given curative conservation treatment to about 7,402 manuscripts.
The National Art Gallery in the Egmore Museum complex will soon be opened to visitors once again. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced Rs. 11 crore for its restoration.
The National Art Gallery was build during the celebration of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in indo-saracenic style, designed by architect Henry Irwin.
The Gallery has been identified as a Heritage site by the CMDA. As of 2002 the gallery has been closed for visitors. The gallery contains several Mugul paintings and rare works of Raja Ravi Varma.
It also has various Tanjore Paintings. Portraits of various British officers such as Lord Connemara and Lord William Bentinck are also present. The art gallery also included numerous miniature paintings depicting court and battle scenes.